Young people leaving care and who have left care may be eligible for a range of services and supports to help them transition successfully into adult living. This includes housing assistance, financial support and post care services.

If you are a young person or a carer of a young person, speak with your DCP caseworker for more information.

Young people transitioning from care receive individualised support to access housing through an agreement between DCP and the SA Housing Authority. This may include determining eligibility for and accessing public and community housing, or help paying bond and rent. Depending on income, care leavers may also be eligible for Commonwealth Rent Assistance.

For more information, speak with your DCP caseworker.

Family based carers who continue to care for young people post 18 may be eligible for extended carer payments to assist them to transition to adult life. To find out if you are eligible for extended carer payments, visit the carer support payments page.

Care leavers can access the Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA), which is an allowance of up to $1,500 from the Australian Government to help young people successfully transition from care into independent living. If you have left care, you can apply for the allowance on the Department of Social Services website.

For essential items, care leavers may be able to access the No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) for $800 to $1,200 to purchase essential household items such as whitegoods and furniture. If you are a care leaver, you may also wish to apply for a direct grant through the Wyatt Trust to help cover purchases such as a fridge, washing machine or removals expense.

The CREATE Your Future (CYF) program supports young people aged 15 -25 on their transition from care to independence. This program includes an annual grants scheme.

Young people who are, or who have been in care may also be eligible to receive a Dame Roma Mitchell Grant.

For more information, speak with your DCP caseworker.

Relationships Australia (SA) provide a range of services for young people who have left care including:

  • accessing records
  • accessing community services and programs
  • education
  • health and medical disability support
  • housing and financial management
  • counselling and therapy
  • life and parenting skills.

For more information, speak with your DCP caseworker or contact Relationships Australia’s Post Care Support Services on 1800 188 118.

You can also visit the leaving care page on the DCP website.

Our partners

  • SA Housing Authority
  • Relationships Australia SA