The Department for Child Protection supports Family Matters, Australia's national campaign to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people grow up safe and cared for in family, community and culture.
Family Matters aims to eliminate the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care by 2040.
The campaign's key principles are:
- Applying a child-focused approach
- Ensuring that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and organisations participate in and have control over decisions that affect their children
- Protecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children's right to live in culture
- Pursuing evidence-based responses
- Supporting, healing and strengthening families
- Challenging systemic racism and inequities
This statement reflects our intent to work collaboratively with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and their organisations to achieve the goal of the Family Matters campaign.
This commitment requires us to work in accordance with the key principles of the campaign.