The DCP Graduate Register is currently closed. If you are looking to register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
The DCP Graduate Register is open to social work students and graduates that are transitioning from university into their new career.
As a candidate, the graduate register provides you with the opportunity to be considered for multiple roles by submitting only one registration.
Candidates will undergo an initial assessment process and must meet pre-established standards to be placed on the register. As positions become available across our locations, you may be contacted to undergo a selection process.
The Graduate Register is specifically designed to support recent or soon to be graduates access employment with DCP.
To be eligible for possible opportunities, graduates must:
- at the time of registration, have completed their qualification within the last 12 months, and be eligible to be registered with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW). You will not be offered a contract until your official transcript has been sighted.
- at the time of registration, you must have less than 3 months full-time equivalent paid experience as an Social Worker in any setting or country
- If you have done any paid work as a Social Worker you will be required to upload evidence of hours worked –failure to do so may impact your eligibility.
- If you have undertaken a placement as part of your studies, you are required to upload evidence (where and how many hours).
- have a degree level qualification in social work which gives eligibility for full membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers.
- not have taken a Targeted Voluntary Separation Package (TVSP) from the SA Government and are applying to work in the SA Government within the ‘employment exclusion period’ specified in the package conditions.
Other special conditions related to a role can be found on the role description.
Department for Child Protection services are delivered across the state in metropolitan Adelaide and regional locations.
On your registration you can nominate your preferences.
We encourage all candidates to thoroughly consider their location preferences. Do not nominate a location you do not wish to work in.
- Woodville DCP office
- Noarlunga DCP Office
- Elizabeth DCP office
- St Marys DCP office
- Blair Athol DCP office
- Hindmarsh DCP office
- Inner South DCP office
- Salisbury DCP office
- Mount Barker
- Port Lincoln
- Coober Pedy
- Port Augusta
- Berri (Riverland office)
- Murray Bridge
- Port Pirie
- Kadina (branch of Port Pirie office)
- Mount Gambier
What are the advantages of working in a regional office?
We are always looking for new graduates to start their career in regional locations. This is a unique opportunity to:
- develop relationships in a community environment and see immediate results of your work
- make strong connections with the community inside and outside of work
- build your leadership and clinical skills through exposure to complex and unique experiences only likely to be encountered in a regional setting.
For regional placements, you will also have the opportunity to:
- negotiate incentives based on needs
- return to Adelaide to undertake professional development activities
- apply for government subsidised housing
- access our Country Transfer Policy.
You will be employed and paid in accordance with the South Australian Modern Public Sector Enterprise Agreement: Salaried 2017.
All successful candidates will commence employment on the first increment level - with the exception of those that have completed a 4 year degree.
As at October 2018, the salary for an Allied Health Professionals Level 1 increment 1 is $64,519.
The hiring manager offering you a role will confirm the relevant pay scale that applies to you and the role on offer.
As a graduate, we also provide a range of supports which may include access to:
- a DCP Mentor
- professional development
- peer support
- full induction and orientation program
- access to clinical training through the department’s Practice Development Team
These may vary across the state.
If you do not currently meet the eligibility requirements, we recommend you establish a Job Alert on I work for SA for future vacancies. Follow the instructions on the I work for SA Careers Page to do this.
If the register is open, you can access the register via I work for SA or via the DCP Careers page. You will then be directed to our recruitment portal. If it is closed, please email: email@example.com.
Throughout the registration you will need access to a range of documents and will need to upload some of them with your registration.
- A current resume – make sure your resume does not have any unexplained gaps of 3 month or more from when your studies have been completed. List the full dates and location of all placements undertaken as a Social Work student (to be uploaded with your registration).
- Full placement reports– at the time of registration you may have completed either one or two placements. You will be required to upload the full placement reports of those completed (full reports means every page of the report).
- University academic results (subjects and results) - documents must include your name, student identification details, academic results (subjects and results). Originals will be required if you participate in a Selection Process.
- Evidence of any paid employment as a Social Worker - you will be required to upload a statement of service from each employer with details of hours worked.
- Visa/passport details - if you are not a permanent resident.
In the registration process you will need to nominate two referees.
These should be:
- people that have worked with you or observed you on placement and can comment on placement performance
- any Manager/supervisor details from employment.
You will need to provide their phone number, email address and details of your working relationship.
We are seeking comments on your ability to work as a Social Worker so your referees will need to reflect this and be able to comment.
Candidates who successfully meet the criteria will be placed on the Graduate Register for 12 months and can be considered for roles as they become available during that time.
Should a vacancy arise during those 12 months, you are eligible to be considered if you are eligible to be registered with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).
The information you submitted in your online registration will be reviewed by hiring managers when a vacancy arises. This will be used to determine whether you will be invited to participate in a selection process.
All candidates are assessed on the same information in the registration form, so it is important that you follow the instructions and upload the documents requested.
The hiring manager will contact you directly via your supplied email address or phone number to discuss the role and see if you are interested. Sometimes the Recruitment Team may contact you on behalf of the hiring manager. There is no guarantee you will be offered a position. Gaining access to the register is not an offer of employment, merely confirmation that your registration details can be accessed by hiring managers across DCP over a 12 month period.
DCP may still advertise AHP1 Social Worker roles during the time you are registered. We recommend you continue to look for such opportunities.
You may be contacted at any time over the 12 month period.
It’s important to regularly check your inbox and junk/spam folder to make sure you don’t miss any communication regarding the progress of your registration or asking you to take action within a set timeframe.
Please make sure you add the below email addresses to your 'safe senders list':
To ensure hiring managers can best understand your current skills and experience you should keep your profile up to date.
This may include changes to your contact details, employment preferences, experience or qualifications.
Providing lots of detail about your experience will help hiring managers understand how you could fill their role.
You can make updates by logging into your Big Red Sky account and accessing your registration whilst the Graduate Register is open or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org when the Graduate Register is closed.
If you are invited for an interview, you will need to complete an employment declaration and confirm your referee details. The selection chairperson will undertake all required checks and confirm contact with your referees.
Screening will include (but may not be limited to):
- verifying your qualifications
- obtaining a satisfactory Working With Children Check
- other internal recruitment checks.
You will not be able to start in a position until these requirements have been satisfied. Although you can apply prior to finalising your qualification, you will not be able to be appointed until you are able to supply evidence of completion of your social work degree.
It is important to contact your referees and advise them that you are being considered.
We also recommend you provide the role description to your referees so they know what you have applied for. This makes it easier for them to provide relevant comments about your work.
The Graduate Register will be active for a period of 12 months.
If for any reason you choose to withdraw from the register for a period of time, upon reactivation the validity period will remain as per the original 12 months. This means the expiry date will not be extended under any circumstances.
At the end of the 12 month period, your registration will expire. Candidates left in the pool will be notified. You may wish to re-apply if you still meet the criteria.
You can also withdraw from a Graduate Register at any time by logging into your Big Red Sky account and changing the status of your registration to withdrawn or by emailing us at email@example.com
There is no obligation to accept an opportunity offered to you through the Graduate Register if you decide it is not suitable. This will not affect your ability to be considered for other opportunities during the 12 month period.
If you are made an offer that is in line with your preferences, you will need to take that offer seriously.
If your preferences change, you will need to log into your Big Red Sky account and adjust this accordingly (if the Graduate Register is still open) otherwise you will need to notify firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those authorised to access the candidate pool will be able to see your information. This will include the Recruitment Team within DCP, selected human resources personnel and hiring managers and personnel across DCP offices that are responsible for recruitment.
Department for Child Protection Recruitment
Phone: (08) 8204 2496 or (08) 8204 2485