As a carer, you may be asked by your early childhood service to provide an immunisation record for the child or young person in your care. Find out what to do.

Immunisation is a simple and effective way of protecting children from serious diseases.

New laws mean that early childhood services now need to keep a copy of children’s immunisation records, allowing SA Health to act quickly to prevent the spread of a vaccine-preventable disease.

In some cases, the early childhood service may approach you directly to request an immunisation record.

What counts as an ‘early childhood service’?

This change impacts a range of services including:

  • childcare
  • family day care
  • preschool
  • kindergarten
  • early learning centres.

What should I do?

If you are contacted by your child’s early childhood service to provide an immunisation record, please contact your DCP caseworker. They will arrange for the documents to be provided and recorded on the child’s file.

What immunisations do children in care need?

Children and young people in care must receive all immunisations required in the National Immunisation Program (South Australia Schedule) and the Annual Funded Influenza Program at the recommended times. These schedules tell you what immunisations children should receive depending on their age, ranging from babies to adolescence and adulthood.

As outlined in Who Can Say OK?, DCP case workers are responsible for making sure a child or young person is up-to-date with all immunisations. As a carer, you can arrange vaccines for children in your care, but must let the case worker know so it can be noted on the child or young person’s case record.