I am a single person - can I apply to adopt a child?

Single people can apply to adopt a child, but a child may only be placed with them in special circumstances.

Not all overseas countries accept applications from single people for intercountry adoption.

For more information see adopting an overseas child or contact Adoption Services on (08) 8463 3666.

Adoption Support

To talk to someone about getting support for how these changes might affect you, you can contact:

Post Adoption Support Services (non-government)

Email: passinfo@rasa.org.au
Phone: (08) 8245 8100

Department for Child Protection Adoption Services (government)

Phone: 1800 512 355